Belated Birthday

Rick and I lay in bed every night talking about everything and nothing. Aside from the third grade humor, we just mostly talk about Ava. Taking care of a little person is an all consuming job, and it is easy to overlook the fact that we have a living, breathing miracle living amongst us. Granted, she can drive me to the very brink of my patience more so than any other person I have ever met, but never have I taken so much satisfaction from kissing another person’s warm neck. Ava has the singular ability to turn Rick and me from stone faced curmudgeons to puddles of goo in no time flat. What can I say, we’re truly a couple of suckers.



And now I can’t believe that our tiny Ava is two. In fact, I guess she really isn’t tiny anymore either. She comes home with dirty knees now, and can throw a ball that will make you duck and cover. Ava has likes and dislikes – always has – only now she can shout it to you from across the room. Curiosity drives her to do most things, which often ends with me sighing in exasperation and her pouting at her less than understanding mother. Let me just say that there isn’t a single cupboard door that hasn’t been road-tested by her Crayolas. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to get her to pair her zeal for rubbing baby wipes on everything, with wiping down her drive-by colorings. Hmmm...








Ava’s temper has been flourishing with the summer sun as well. While the tantrums have been few and far between, it’s the everyday whining that makes us want to go to our room and hide beneath the bed. But for as much as I complain about her discontent, I think her small heart is big enough to wrap around the entire earth.





There are moments when I catch her being quiet and compassionate, and I am amazed that such a small person has the capacity to be that way. It’s moments like that, that I want to trap in a jar and keep forever. Briefly I have a glimpse of why it is exactly that people have children.



Happy Birthday Ava. For every moment that you cause me to roll my eyes in frustration, you also bring a million times more in utter happiness. Good thing you know how to annoy your mother. Love you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Big Girl!
Has it really been two years already? How time flies!

Hope to see you all soon!

~Todd, Jess & Ashton

Popular Posts